Monday 13 August 2012

The Medals Race vs the Human Race

We've made it through the Olympics.

I don't know about you, but I've been a bit bleary-eyed in the mornings because the only time I can catch up is right at the end of play, and once you start watching, it gets a wee bit addictive! The Opening Ceremony was particularly spectacular - it struck the perfect note, being just eccentric enough to be thoroughly British; yet open, and embracing the core purpose of the Games: the coming together of Nations.

I found myself wishing we could hang on a little harder to that core principle.  I must admit to getting weary listening to commentators going on and on about the "medals' race" - and I wonder what would happen if we put everybody in a "Global" kit and let them compete, not for the pride of one country but simply and completely for the joy of a world-wide community. What a celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Your comment will be moderated according to my Netiquette statement. The comments posted by readers of the blog are not necessarily the opinion of, or endorsed by The Church of Scotland.